Premier Doug Ford is holding a news conference beginning at 1 p.m. from Queen’s Park. Ford is being joined by Minister of Health Christine Elliott, Minister of Education Stephen Lecce and Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health.
You can watch it live in this story.
The provincial government is putting a “pause” of four weeks on considering any further loosening of public health measures in Ontario, Minister of Health Christine Elliott said Tuesday.
The province reported 185 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, as well as 190 on Monday — the most on any single day since July 24.
Data for both days was released this morning because the province did not issue an updated report on Labour Day.
At the province’s daily news conference, Elliott said Ontario’s “latest trends and numbers have raised some concern.”
As has consistently been the case in recent weeks, Toronto, Peel and Ottawa saw the most additional infections in today’s update with 48, 42 and 37, respectively. The day before those three public health units confirmed, respectively, 60, 57 and 25 more cases.
Meanwhile, York Region reported 17 and 19 further cases over the last two days.
The five-day rolling average of new daily cases in Ontario, a measure that smoothes peak and valleys in data, has been trending steadily upward since a low August 9.
The province has now seen a total of 43,536 confirmed infections of the novel coronavirus since the outbreak began in late January. Around 90 per cent of those are considered resolved, with 119 more marked resolved in today’s update.
There are currently about 1,527 confirmed, active cases of the illness provincewide, with a majority in Toronto, Peel, York and Ottawa.
Speaking to reporters this morning, Toronto Mayor John Tory drew attention to the troubling number of cases in younger people. Of the 968 cases confirmed in the city in the last month, 65 per cent were people under the age of 40. Some 15 per cent of those cases were in people under 20, he added.
“We can now see that a substantial number of cases are happening among people, sometimes very young,” Tory said.
Ontario’s official COVID-19 death toll now sits at 2,813. A CBC News count based on data directly from public health units puts the real toll at 2,853.
Return to school for many students
The new figure come as students in Ontario will begin returning to the classroom in person today for the first time since the start of the pandemic.
The province shuttered all schools on March 13 cases of the virus began to rise.
This fall, boards will offer a mix of in-person classes and online learning for students who opt to stay home.
Some boards in different parts of the province will reopen schools today, while others will begin to restart over the next two weeks.
Last month, Education Minister Stephen Lecce gave boards permission to stagger school reopenings if they required more time to put pandemic safety protocols in place.
For instance, high school students will start orientation at the Peel District School Board today, with elementary students beginning Wednesday, while Toronto District School Board students will not begin returning to class until Sept. 15.
View original article here Source